Thursday, February 24, 2011

Retro Review #8 Metallica's Metallica


As soon as you hear the opening riff on this album you know your about to hear something special. The song in question would be Enter Sandman and it is the first of many great tracks from the Metallicats breakthrough album.

I got into Metallica at around Load but this is THE album that really got my reeled in. The first time I listened to this, I lied down with my headphones on and turned the volume right up to the maximum position. I then heard one of the greatest things in the world. Metallica at their best and angriest.

I can't pick a bad song here, they all could have been singles. I'll just rattle off a few of the songs and chances are, fan or not, you know some of them. The Unforgiven, Sad But True, Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman. Tell me any of these are shit and I'll snot ya. These are now classic songs from the world's best metal band and obviously, their career only gets longer.

Anyone for hair metal?

My personal favourite here is Enter Sandman, but you can't go past nothing else matters for musical poetry. It's a beautiful song and I hope I one day get to see it live. Well I have seen it live, but only on DVD or by crappy pub bands who always fuck it up.

This was well before Jason Newstead has a spac attack and left the band without a bassist for a while but that's a tale for another day. They all grew as musician's and people during the making of this record and they benefited incredibly from an actual producer and not just knocking the album out themselves. This producer was Bob Rock who had produced for Bon Jovi and Motley Crue and would go on to produce Metallica's releases up until Death Magnetic with Rick Rubin taking over on that one.

Pictured: The band being inducted into the Hall Of Fame.
Not Pictured: A Jason Newstead tanty.

Just one more thing, Kirk really cuts loose here for the last time really until Death Magnetic, and he is a fucking god.

No comments:

Post a Comment