Monday, February 21, 2011

Retro Review #6 Blink 182's Blink 182


My first album review. Yeah, I need to mix it up a bit and here's what I'm doing


This is one of my personal favourite albums. It has Blink 182 at a more mature level than in previous efforts and show's the group's musical growth. Their little poppy punk-rock songs could only get them so far. The they brought out this effort which was their most mature record, or even, their first mature record that they made. It spawned the number 1 hit "I Miss You" and 80's inspired "Always". The video for the latter is rad and features Aussie F-Lister, Sophie Monk. And then they broke up. More on that when they release their new album, whenever the fuck that may be.

Post Coital.

As soon as I heard the start of Feeling This on the radio I knew I would love this album, and love it I did. I wouldn't let anyone talk shit about it and they could go fuck themselves if they did. I have to say I still don't like when people do but these days I will listen to them and then explain why I do like it. It's all very calm and rational. I've matured, like these guys did.

This album has strange moments and wonderful moments. The intro to Stockholm Syndrome is both of these. All Of This has Robert Smith, I'm Lost Without You is a marathon for a blink song at around 6 minutes, Easy Target is a song that cracks along at a breakneck pace and Asthenia is about an astronaut. This is probably a pre-cursor to Angels and Airwaves.

Thought I'd throw this in here.

So this is the album before Angels and Airwaves, before +44 and before Travis's soon to be released solo effort "Give The Drummer Some" and what we all thought to be their last studio album. Like all the blink album's, this brings back good memories and I hope in 10 years I can say the same about their new one whenever the fuck it comes out. Seriously, it's killing me, put a song on a soundtrack or something.

Pictured: Blink announcing they were back.
Not Pictured: Me crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment