Friday, February 18, 2011

Retro Review #3 Grand Theft Auto IV


You know as well as I do, that this game is awesome. It returns to Liberty City, albeit a revamped one. A far cry from the city we saw in GTAIII. This one has it all, pool, darts, bowling and you can even get drunk. Try playing this game when you are actually drunk, and then get good and in-game drunk and try to get away from the coppers. Just one of the many ways to cause accidental death in this game. Who knew you could improve on GTA: San Andreas?

This is kind of a reboot of sorts as the GTAIII games are not referenced, or according to Dan Houser of Rockstar Games, related to this one which makes sense because the city is so different. So anyhow, in this game, we meet Niko Belic, an Eastern European guy with a grudge. He meets up with his degenerate gambler cousin Roman, and together, but not really, they start to build a reputation in the criminal underworld. All the while Niko, withholds some of his true motives.

With any competency, you will tear through the opening missions and have a ball doing it. As the missions get harder you will see the story take shape and meet friends, enemies, traitors, girlfriends and at one point, see Ricky Gervais at the Cabaret Bar on the third island I think it is.

The graphics are amazing.

One particular gripe I have with this game is Packie. What a cunt he is. His missions are cool but he is a fuckhead. I felt like killing him numerous times during missions but decided against it because I didn't want have to deal with the bastard any more than I have to. I haven't completed the game yet and still haven't got rid of the fucker. 

I do like the Rasta guy, What's his name? Hang on, I'll be back in a sec.

Who wants to fuck Leonardo?

His name is Little Jacob and becomes a close ally to you. Go eat, drink, play pool, darts or see strippers with him to keep your friendship close and I won't lie, I don't know what the benefit of it is but it's fun to fuck around and try to figure out what exactly the fuck he is talking about. It's usually something about him and Badman.

So basically there's plenty to do and places to see and also, Brucie is a pain in the twat.

Pictured: Twat pain.

I have to say that this is my favourite game and it doesn't get boring. Ever. There's always something to do, whether it's playing through the story or knifing pedestrians, you are bound to find something. It's been around for a couple of years now and even the Episodes From Liberty City bring new and old characters (From GTA 4) together for 2 new stories. One involving a biker and one involving a poof. One of those has a cock in it which caused controversy for some reason but is fuckin' hilarious. I had to cover my mouth so I didn't wake up my house-mates. I'll leave it to you to find out which one its from.

So there you go, if you haven't played it before, do yourself a favour and do so because you are missing out on some good times. And it is better than San Andreas. 

Two thumbs, straight in the air, without carpel tunnel which is a possibility with this game because its so friggin' addictive. This is video game crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment