Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hawaii Five-0 Reboot Pilot Review

How fucking awesome was this? To me, this is about as good as an action TV episode can be. This pilot is the 2nd best TV pilot I have seen. The first being LOST, which as a pilot was perfect (and was my favourite show from start to finish), I'll admit, the series was not. So far, 16 episodes in, Hawaii Five-0 has only settled down because a TV budget requires it to. But this is not about the rest of the series, it's about the pilot.

Pictured: Wet nurps.

Firstly, Alex O'Loughlin is great as Steve McGarret, the role played by Jack Lord in the original. Scott Caan has already been nominated for a Golden Globe for his role as Det. Danny 'Danno' Williams so obviously, he's pretty fuckin' good too. Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho Kelly and Grace Park as Kono Something round out the regular cast and together, they make a fantastic team taking down the antagonist of the episode played by the great-to-see-he-can-play-someone-other-than-Spike, James Marsters. Although his Irish accent could use a lot of work. Seriously, it sucks. But that's pretty much the only bad thing about this pilot.

James Marsters as he appears in Hawaii Five-0 pilot.

The dude from Boondock Saints and the cop from Roswell (the guy doing nude judo in the mirror in Die Hard 2) were wasted in the opening scene because they died and that sucked, I thought they really could have added something to the show in later episodes but whatever.. Whoops. Forgot to say SPOILER ALERT!!

Anyhow, McGarrett's unorthodox quest to find his father's killer pulls Danno, Chin Ho, and a not-male-like-in-the-original Kono in the fray and the unnamed task force take on the bad guys in a totally believable way. By the way, if Kono was a dude I don't think the scene where Chin Ho introduced her to the other guys would have worked quite as well as she was in a bikini (This is one of the best parts).

I can't think of anything else at the moment because my sausages are ready so I'll refer you back to the squirrel while I eat.....

Pictured: Chip or Dale 
Not Pictured: Donald Duck's blown up head

Now that I'm back, wait, what the fuck was I talking about? Oh that's right. McGarrett meets thingo in a fight to the death (?) in the, I think it's Maui Harbour but his death is left ambigious. The Governor gives her new task force some headquarters and they pretty much get to pick their cases for the rest of the series.

The episode plants some seeds for future episodes and it's nice to see them pay off later on. The chemistry between the leads is fantastic and the visuals are pretty cool when they need to be. It was directed by the guy who directed the first 2 Underworld movies but I'm prepared to forgive for the moment because I really enjoyed this.

Thanks for reading my Shenanigan's and I hope you continue to.

I think I'll go a simple thumb's up for this. Mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment