Thursday, June 9, 2011

Retro Review #16: Fight Club


David Fincher was directed awesome movies in the 90's. Excluding Alien 3. I don't know what his movies have been like since but I do know that Fight Club deserves all the accolades it gets. I don't know anybody who's favourite movie list it is not on. It wasn't even a box office hit when in the theatre's. It's definitely been a success since then though.

I remember the first time I watched this movie, I was 14 and watched it with a couple of friends. One had to leave before it ended and fucked up the ending for us, even though he hadn't seen it before. It didn't really matter because the movie is a classic now, a cult classic that became successful on home video and DVD. It has a large female fan base which a while ago, was an odd statistic for a film like this.

This may or may not have been a factor.

One of the most memorable bits was when Edward Norton, smashed the fuck out of Jared Leto's face. The gurgle had to be cut from the UK version. Another memorable part is when Lou, beats the ever holy shit out of Tyler Durden, who proceeds to jump up and bleed all over Lou who the bitches out and lets them continue to use the basement for Fight Club, which as you should know, you do not talk about.

At this point I will tell you that if you liked the film, don't read the book. It'll fuck up your view of a certain character who is pretty damn important. The movie and the book are almost completely different in that respect, I suppose. But it is a faithful adaption as far as I can tell, there are just some things that work on the page and not the screen.

Brad Pitt chose most of Tyler's clothing.

I'll never get sick of this movie, I truly wont. I'd watch it every day id I had time. It's not even my favourite movie, that goes to The Dark Knight or Blood Diamond or Inception. I'm undecided on that but I do know that Fight Club is up there somewhere and I think that's true of a lot of people. One thing is for sure, it won't go away from you for a long time after your first viewing and it's stuck with me still. A full 12 years after seeing it.

Yes. this is in the movie.

1 comment:

  1. fight club jacket

    Great review by retro on fight club and brad pitt jackets are available on discount

    ReplyDelete