Monday, June 20, 2011

Celebrating Origin Two


Well thank fuck for that. My faith would have been permanently shaken, never to give a fuck about Origin again, when NSW put in the performance they have been looking for for five cursing years. All it took was to not change half of the team and build some combinations. There were still more changes than was probably wanted, but needed through injuries. Now, if they stick to that side we are in for another ripper of a game.

Lets start off with the selection of Anthony Minichiello at fullback for the first time since 2007. He hasn't had a chance at this level since then from injuries but he looked like he hadn't missed a beat. As soon as he caught the first QLD kick I had the feeling we'd win and I believe he should be the fullback until he retires. It also didn't hurt that he was one of the most experienced at Origin level in the side. Only Hayne has played more I think.

Speaking of Hayne, he didn't do much did he? He didn't suck but, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped for the third game and the media doesn't say shit this time. Having said that, I don't think he should be. We need to stick to the same side as much as possible. I'd personally love if Todd Carney was in there somewhere but that won't happen unless all the bench gets hurt and Carney has a good game.

I was like this, but at home.

This hurts to say but the thing I enjoyed most was that QLD played well too and we beat them. It was one of the best games from 2 teams that I've ever seen but NSW will have to step it up if they want to win Game III, which is a Suncorp in Brisbane and Darren Lockyer's last Origin match. I really don't care that it is and if NSW won by 50, that would be awesome. That won't happen but if it did, us NSWelshman know that QLD would find some reason to sook about it and how we always bend the rules to win, quickly forgetting about the last five years and the fact that Inglis and Folau grew up together and were graded in NSW. The fuckheads.

As for the debutants in the squad, the obvious standout was Will Hopoate, leaving the game for 2 years for Mormon Missionary stuff, who looked like he belonged out on that field with the rest of the Blues. He also did this.....

Unlike his father, uses his fingers properly.

Mitchell Pearce and Jamie Soward's combination was better from having played Game 1 together and it showed too. These 2 will be that halves for the long term barring something unfortunate. They both look better in the Origin arena with every match they play, Pearce with 5 and Soward with 2. Soward also kicked a lot better this game with more time on his hands and kicked some important goals from out wide, along with the match sealing play when he put Mini through to score with 3 minutes to go.

Onto Paul Gallen. Fuck. Promoted to captain this series, was moved up to prop for this game by coach Ricky Stuart. If you have seen a better performance in Origin, please let me know, I can't remember one and I haven't missed a game since 1992. He ran all over the goddamn place and tackled like a motherfucker, he played like a captain should. Did he get MOM? I think he did, but I'm not sure.

The Count scoring the winning try.

Now we come to Ricky Stuart, the new coach and last coach to win a series for NSW in 2005. He has said that he will be happy winning one game but I call bullshit, I suspect that he will be if we win the series. And if we do, it will be because of him as the coach, now a full time position. It only took us 5 years to realise That the great Mal Meninga is coaching the canetoads full time. It will be a great performance by him if it is achieved, but not as much will be said about it if it's not. Also, Gallen won't be as recognised for his performance if the 3rd one is lost which is a shame.

So yeah, the 3rd game in a couple of weeks should be a cracker. We look to win our first series in what seems like ever and QLD look to send out Lockyer on a high note who incidently will become the most capped Origin player. I look forward to game 3 this year which is a nice feeling and will be watching with a few beers and chips and that from the loungeroom or maybe the pub. I'm not quite sure yet.

Pearce sat Thiaday at one point. T'was sensational.

Wow, I wrote a shit heap more that I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment