Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Musical Spotlight #3: Give The Drummer Some by Travis Barker


When I heard Travis was bringing out his own solo record I thought, Hmmm, How? Now I know. With a shit tonne of other artists and he drums along with them. It's unmistakable Travis Barker beats comin at ya hard and fast and what I like about it is, I don't like it just because it's Travis Barker from my favourite band, the songs are fucktastic all by themselves. I don't love them all, or even like them all, but that's just it. There's something on this record for most musical tastes.


I'll name all the artists we hear from here: Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Swizz Beatz, The Game, Pharrel, Lupe Fiasco, RZA, Raekwon, Tom Morello, Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, E-40, Dev, The Cool Kids, Slaughterhouse, Yelawolf, Twista, Busta Rhymes, Lil Jon, The Transplants, Slash, Kid Cudi, Tech N9ne, Bun B, Beanie Sigel, Kobe and Cypres Hill. Then on the Deluxe Edition we have Corey Taylor, Paul Wall, Jay Rock, Kurupt, Clipse and Steve Aoki. Did you get all that? Then there's also a secret track with his kids at the end of both versions.

I would have loved there to be a Blink song on here but it really wouldn't have fit in the rest of it. Travis himself has said that he didn't want the first new Blink music to be on his solo effort and I understand that now. There is a Transplants song though, they are mad sick too.

Its all in his eyes.

It kicks off with "Can a Drummer Get Some?" (Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Swizz Beatz, The Game), and never really slows down with the rock/hip hop flavor that it starts with. My fav is the Pharrel song "If You Want To", also ft. Lupe Fiasco. It's nice and upbeat, kinda like N.E.R.D. Funny thing that.

Listen to "Misfits" with Steve Aoki on the Deluxe Edition and not be fired up, I dare you. It's a fuckin' great track.

Just having a dart, like all musicians do.

Travis shows his vast musical taste and his enthusiasm for music comes through. You can just tell that he is enjoying the fuck out of what he does. That enthusiasm seems to rub off on the other musician's present and what we end up with is a well rounded album with a bunch of great tracks that you can listen to once or all day, do what you like. You will find something you like and if you don't. you suck.

Now we just have to wait for the first Blink album in forever.

And I can't effing wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment